Team Leader and TVET expert (m/f)
Field of activity
The EU Delegation in Afghanistan, the Afghan Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs, Martyrs and Disabled (MoLSAMD) and GIZ are currently preparing a Technical Assistance Project to support MoLSAMD in implementing the National Labour Strategy and Legal Migration Strategy. The project “Technical Assistance for market-responsive skills development and as a preventive measure against irregular migration” will strengthen the capacities of MoLSAMD to manage and coordinate the non-formal VET sector. The objective will be to improve the quality and quantity of the skills development provision by ensuring market-responsive vocational training for working age Afghans to increase their domestic and international employability, to reduce the number of illegal and uninformed migrants, through strengthened partnerships with relevant national and international partners including the private sector and the civil society.
The details of how the project will support MoLSAMD are under an ongoing discussion but the activities will be in the following areas:
- Capacity Development to MoLSAMD
- Establishment of a framework for the delivery of non-formal training by NGOs and the private sector
- Support to the Migration Unit of MoLSAMD in implementing the Labour Migration Strategy
The project start is foreseen for June or July 2017 with duration of three years.
The Key Expert 1 will be in charge of the implementation of the project activities. S/he will be responsible for the field management of the technical assistance team. S/he will be the primary point of contact for the European Commission and MoLSAMD.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in Labor Economics/ Education/ Development or equivalent professional experience of at least 10 years in a discipline relevant to the scope of the assignment.
- Excellent communication skills to be able to communicate convincingly and diplomatically with a wide range of contacts, including proven strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong project management skills to be able to manage a complex project effectively delivering results under tight deadlines.
- Strong people management skills to be able to lead, coach and motivate an international team to deliver the required results.
- Strong analytical and computer literacy.
- Proven excellent report writing and communication skills in English.
General professional experience
- Minimum 7 years of general relevant professional experience, including 3 years of direct experience in project, people and resource management.
- Experience in managing technical assistance programmes, preferably as Team Leader.
- Experience in at least one international assignment, experience in overseas assignments in development economies is an asset.
- Professional experience in volatile environments would be an advantage
- Professional experience in Afghanistan or South Asia would be an advantage
Specific professional experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in TVET related assignments including implementation experience in an international context.
- Experience in working on policy formulation and revision and/ or institutional reforms.
- Experience in institution/capacity building at a governmental level in the field of TVET and improvement of informal and formal TVET structures.
- Experience in EU funded projects would be an asset.
Contract duration will be three years. Starting date will be probably in June or July 2017. The assignment is planned for full time employment, arrangements for part-time at a 80% could be discussed.