- Good Governance
In various areas, poorly performing and insufficiently transparent administrative structures adversely affect Afghanistan. Government institutions are partially weak and frequently characterised by corruption, arbitrariness and personal interests. Many public employees are in need for further training and capacity development. In addition, the Afghan state is highly dependent on external financial support. Many of the services provided by public institutions rely on support from externally funded consultants. Non-state power holders, informal processes and corruption further limit the effectiveness of the state’s institutions.
The government is also confronted with ethnic, religious and tribal groups’ demands for greater political, economic and cultural participation. In some places, the lack of confidence in the ability of the Afghan government to take effective action increases the risk of parallel structures emerging.
The German government is therefore assisting Afghanistan to develop its administrative bodies and state structures. The focus is on fighting corruption, training and qualifying administrative staff in the proper provision of services for citizens, thereby boosting public confidence in government bodies.
For further information about our work in the priority area of good governance, please see the project descriptions and the ‘Stories’ section.
Our work in this sector
- Fact sheet: Legal Certainty for all Citizens - pdf | 914.86 KB
- Fact sheet: Reforms for an Effective and Trustworthy State - pdf | 867.73 KB
- Fact sheet: Strong local government structures to stabilize northern Afghanistan - pdf | 951.34 KB
- Fact sheet: Public Authorities as Pillars of Society - pdf | 717.58 KB
- Fact sheet: Transparently Planning and Implementing Development MeasuresIn Afghanistan - pdf | 861.31 KB
- Fact sheet:Progress Achieved through the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund - pdf | 935.09 KB
- Fact sheet: Sustainable Mining for Economic Growth - pdf | 691.32 KB
- Fact Sheet: Youth for Peace - pdf | 892.93 KB
- Fact sheet: Integrated Experts in Afghanistan - pdf | 905.53 KB
- Fact sheet: Govern4Afghanistan - pdf | 938.07 KB